Reference to a video that has gone viral on social media where some young men and women purported to be students of the College of Nursing and Midwifery, Nalerigu are seen calling for the come back of the Incompetent Frm. President Mahama, the National Youth wing of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), upon a thorough inquiry into the matter, wishes to respond as follows:
- That the political gimmick that ensued in Nalerigu last Friday is nothing but a staged and choreographed play that depicts the desperation of Frm. President Mahama to massage his unpopularity among trainee nurses and Ghanaians in general.
- Our investigations have revealed that the about 20 young men and women seen in the said video were TEIN( NDC Students wing) members who were induced financially to put up that play to deceive unsuspecting trainee nurses.
- It is important to emphasize that the Management of the College as well as the SRC of the College, in a separate press statements released on Saturday, have condemned the shameful act and has disassociated themselves from same stating that the school has over two thousand (2,000) students and that the conduct of the about 20 students does not reflect the position and sentiments of the entire student population.
- In the said video, the students were instructed by persons that accompanied Fmr. President Mahama to kneel down in the scorching sun and render apology to him ostensibly for voting against him in 2016. We strongly condemn this inhumane and cruel treatment meted out to the students and demand that Fmr. President Mahama should render an apology to the victims and their parents.
- President Akufo-Addo has remained faithful to trainee nurses relative to his promises to them prior to the 2016 elections as confirmed by the two press statements released by both the Management and SRC of Nalerigu NMTC.
- In less that one year upon assumption of office, the Nana Addo led NPP Government restored the nursing Trainees allowance with over hundred thousand (100,000) health trainees receiving Ghc400 each as monthly allowance.
- It is imperative to note that Government is current on the payment of trainee nurses’ allowance – a total of GH¢198.2million was released from September 2018 to June 2019 to pay all trainees in public health training institutions.
- President Akufo–Addo upon assumption of office in 2017 removed the ban placed on the employment of health workers that rendered tens of thousands of trained nurses and other health workers unemployed between 2012 and 2016. In 2017, a total of eighteen thousand (18,000) health workers were employed. Recruitment of additional 54,000 health workers has commenced early this year. By December 2019, a total of 72,000 health workers that were thrown into the wilderness of joblessness by the Incompetent and insensitive Mahama would be gainfully employed by the Nana Addo led NPP Government.
- Every single cruel and unacceptable policy implemented to the detriment of trainee nurses by the erstwhile Mahama led NDC Government has been reversed by President Akufo-Addo and much better policies introduced. It therefore comes as a surprise, the strenuous efforts by Mr. Mahama to unsuccessfully pitch trainee nurses against the NPP.
- Mr. Mahama should note that trainee nurses don’t have “short memory” and can recollect his infamous assertion that he will never restore trainee nurses allowance even if it will cost him the elections as reported by graphiconline.com on Sept. 9, 2016. Again, the General Secretary of the NDC, Mr. Asiedu Nketiah’s assertion that “there is no political wisdom in the continuous payment of the allowance” as reported by citifmonline.com 4years ago still echoes strongly in the ears of trainee nurses.
- It is obvious he doesn’t support the payment of trainees allowance and want to prepare the grounds for a possible cancellation in the unlikely event that he ever becomes President again. He has obviously not learnt the reasons for which he was voted out in 2016.
- We, therefore, humbly impress upon trainee nurses to be weary of the lies and deception of Mr. Mahama and the NDC party and vote massively against them in 2020 to protect the Trainee Nurses Allowance Payment Policy and the automatic job placement regime.
Henry Nana Boakye (Esq)
National Youth Organizer, NPP