Over 150 people who have come into contact with four of the six confirmed patients of the novel Coronavirus disease in Ghana have so far been traced by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) in collaboration with other state agencies.
Ghana has so far confirmed six cases of coronavirus disease [COVID-19] as of March 14 in two regions, Ashanti and Greater Accra. The tracing process is currently ongoing with respect to contacts to two of the other confirmed cases, which was confirmed on Saturday night.
Giving updates on the emergence of the coronavirus in Ghana at a media briefing in Accra on Sunday, the Director of Public Health at the GHS, Dr Badu Sarkodie, said all those traced had been advised to do self-quarantine.
He explained that the number traced were in relation to the first four confirmed cases, explaining that processes were ongoing to identify all persons who might have come into contact with the confirmed cases.
He said in relation to the first two cases, involving a Ghanaian and a Norwegian, 32 and 107 contacts had been traced respectively.
He explained that although Ghana had opted for self-quarantine instead of compulsory state quarantine, the Ghana Health Service with its allied agencies would keep a close eye on those who had been traced
He, however, warned that if any of those doing the self-quarantine refused to comply with established protocols, GHS and its collaborators would step in to ensure that the right protocols were followed.
Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has announced a travel advisory which discourages all travels to the country until further notice. The advice, it said, takes immediate effect from today 15th March, 2020.
It said commencing Tuesday, March 17, 2020, any traveller who, within the last 14 days, has been to a country that has recorded at least 200 cases of persons infected of the coronavirus (COVID-19) disease, would not be permitted into the Ghanaian jurisdiction, except for Ghanaian citizens and persons with a Ghana residence permit.
The Government has also instructed airlines not to allow such persons to embark; and also urged border posts not permit such travelers into their jurisdiction.
Mr Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, the Minister of Information, announced the travel advisory at a press briefing to update the country on the COVID-19 disease in Accra after Ghana record six persons infected with the disease.
He said per the advisory, there would be a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for persons who are allowed to enter the Ghanaian jurisdiction.