Israeli troops have killed at least nine Palestinians and wounded over a dozen others in one of the deadliest days in the occupied West Bank since Israeli raids intensified at the start of last year.

An elderly woman has been reported among the dead, according to Palestinian officials, in one of the deadliest days in the occupied West Bank since Israeli raids intensified at the start of last year.

The Palestinian health ministry said that 16 others were injured with live ammunition in the raid on Jenin refugee camp.

Israeli forces have now withdrawn from Jenin.

Only one of the eight people killed has been identified so far: 24-year-old Saeb Issam Zreiqi.

Health officials said the situation on the ground is very difficult, with injuries continuing to pour into hospitals, and Israeli forces obstructing the work of ambulances and medics.

“There is an invasion that is unprecedented in the past period, in terms of how large it is and the number of injuries,” Wissam Baker, head of Jenin public hospital, told Al Jazeera.

“The ambulance driver tried to get to one of the martyrs who were on the floor, but the Israeli forces shot directly at the ambulance and prevented them from approaching him,” Baker continued.

Israeli forces also fired tear gas canisters towards the hospital which seeped into the children’s division, Baker said, causing suffocation injuries among children.

The Israeli military confirmed that an operation was underway in Jenin on Thursday, but did not immediately provide further details.

Israeli forces launched a large-scale raid and besieged the camp in the early hours with undercover forces, dozens of armoured vehicles and snipers. Armed clashes with Palestinian resistance fighters soon broke out.

Jenin is among areas of the northern West Bank where Israel has intensified raids over the past year, in an attempt to crack down on growing armed Palestinian resistance.

Aleef Sabbagh, a political analyst specializing in Israeli affairs, said Thursday’s operation in Jenin “should be understood as a signal – it is the first shot in a coming, larger Israeli operation.”

“The lack of a response – neither Arab nor international – over what Israel is doing, is encouraging it to continue with its raids and killings,” Sabbagh told Al Jazeera.

“The targeting of ambulances and hospitals, preventing aid to wounded people, the field executions – even the killing of Shireen Abu Akleh – there has been no accountability. If there is no real, strong response, Israel will continue to do what it wants without punishment.”

Al Jazeera’s Shireen Abu Akleh, a veteran correspondent covering the occupied Palestinian territories for more than 25 years, was shot and killed in May while she was covering a raid on the Jenin refugee camp.

No one has yet been held accountable for her killing.

The number of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces during raids in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem in January has risen to at least 29 people, including five children. At least 15 of those killed were from Jenin.

More than 170 Palestinians were killed in such raids in 2022, many of them civilians.

Source:saljazeera.com

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Five killed in attacks on foreigners in South Africa

Five people have been killed in xenophobic attacks in South Africa, police said,…

Covid-19: World Leaders Call For International Pandemic Treaty

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has joined more than 20 world leaders in…

Brazil: Political Crisis And Covid Surge Rock Bolsonaro

Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro is facing the biggest crisis of his presidency after…